Police in Santa Fe, New Mexico have officially issued a search warrant for actor Alec Baldwin’s cell phone, weeks after the actor handled a weapon that discharged and killed a woman and injured a man while on set of his film.
Investigators previously asked the 63-year-old actor for his phone, according to the New York Post, “but he told them they would need to get a warrant.”
The New York Post says it obtained a copy of the search warrant.
“The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office believes there are key conversations on Baldwin’s phone related to what led to the prop gun death of Halyna Hutchins in October,” the publication added.
— New York Post (@nypost) December 16, 2021
In Baldwin’s first media appearance since the fatal shooting, he told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos that he did not pull the trigger causing the gun to fire and kill Hutchins.
“Well, the trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger,” Baldwin told Stephanopoulos. When asked to clarify, Baldwin added, “No, no, I would never point a gun at anyone and pull the trigger at them.”
“Someone put a live bullet in the gun, a bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property.”
EXCLUSIVE: “The trigger wasn’t pulled. I didn’t pull the trigger,” Alec Baldwin tells @GStephanopoulos in first interview since fatal shooting on set of “Rust.”
— ABC News (@ABC) December 1, 2021
After Baldwin made that claim, he was confronted by New York Post journalist Jon Levine in New York last week.
“Wait, Mr. Baldwin, I have to ask you, what brings you to New York City?” the New York Post’s Jon Levine asked Baldwin in the footage, while the actor’s wife Hilaria loudly repeated, “I asked you to leave. I asked you to go away. Please go away.”
Baldwin then turned away from the door of the apartment toward Levine while thrusting a folded umbrella at him. “You’re not allowed to photograph onto somebody’s private home,” the actor shouted at the reporter.
NEW … I ran into Alec Baldwin on the Upper East Side pic.twitter.com/8pG5Vpshw2
— Jon Levine (@LevineJonathan) December 7, 2021
Baldwin became a politically divisive figure when he began portraying 45th President Donald Trump on Saturday Night Live, which ultimately led the actor to make a series of derogatory remarks about the popular 45th President.
It has been alleged that Baldwin created a hostile work environment on the “Rust” set, and that he cut corners to save money – using non union labor – in the days and weeks leading to the fatal shooting.
A lawsuit against Baldwin recently revealed that the “Rust” script never called for the actor to fire his weapon.